Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Little Piece of Sunshine: Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling and Butter Cream Frosting

It has been a bit gloomy on this side of the world for a few weeks now. Though I love the gloomy weather, there are times when I would long for the sunshine. As do my four-year-old daughter, who wishes for a sunny weather.

I can't just magically pull out the sun out of its hiding so I thought I'd make something as yellow and refreshing as the sunlight for my lovely daughters... Lemon cupcakes with lemon curd filling and buttercream frosting based on Martha Stewart's recipe... though I tweaked it a bit. :)

If you may have noticed on my previous posts, I just looooove baking for my little ones. And now, I am sharing with you my bit of sunshine!

I started with the lemon curd. This way, the curd filling will cool off as I make my cupcakes as well as my frosting.

You'll need:

2 medium-sized lemons, juiced and grated for zest (make sure you avoid the white pith)
1 cup caster sugar (or you can also use confectioner's sugar, though caster is finer)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, 2 yolks
pinch of salt
1/3 cup butter, unsalted

Procedure:

1. In a saucepan, whisk (or in my case, I used a fork!) sugar with the eggs. Cook under low heat.
2. Gradually combine the butter, zest, vanilla, butter and salt, while continually whisking until it thickens.
3. Strain through a sieve into a bowl.
4. Let it sit. Once cooled under room temperature, chill in freezer for a few minutes for easy piping.

Clockwise from top: lemon cupcake mix, buttercream frosting,
and lemon curd.

Now on to the cupcakes. For these, you will need the following:

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
zest of 1 1/2 lemons
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 tbsp vinegar mixed with fresh milk to fill 1/2 cup)



Procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line tins with cupcake liners.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time so it would incorporate evenly.
4. Add in zest and vanilla.
5. Finally, add the flour, half by half, alternating with milk and lemon juice, until everything is mixed.
6. Fill each cupcake mold up to 3/4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Once cooked, let them cool.
8. Scoop each cupcake in the middle, using a spoon (as seen in the photo) for the filling.

Aaaaand finally, while I wait for the cupcakes to cool, we'll make the buttercream frosting!

For a basic buttercream frosting, you would need:

1 cup caster or confectioners sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
1/4 tsp vanilla
2-4 tsp milk

Procedure:

1. Mix sugar, butter and vanilla.
2. Gradually add milk. 2 teaspoons first, then add a teaspoon at a time, until you reach frosting consistency.
3. Mix until there are no more lumps.


Assembling the cupcakes

1. Once the cupcakes are cooled, create a small crater inside each of them. Use a small spoon to scoop them. Make sure it won't reach the bottom of the cupcakes or the curd will flow out.
2. Pipe lemon curd filling on to each cupcake until it reaches the surface.
3. Pipe buttercream frosting on top of the cupcake. I made mine as such in the photo, surrounding the lemon curd filling. Make sure your cupcake is entirely cool and your lemon curd chilled, or your buttercream frosting would melt. You may also top them with lemon zest, if you wish.

And there you go! A little piece of sunshine, thanks to this zesty, lemony treat.

Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment