Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Easy-To-Cook Creamy Carbonara and Garlic Bread

Pasta night at la mia casa. I just love eating and cooking pasta! I loooove Italian food too. I could move to Italy, if I could... But then again, I don't speaking Italian. Hahaha!

Kidding aside, the little one asked me if I could conjure up a nice pasta dish for dinner. Since my daughter would only go for pasta with white sauce (she hates HATES tomato sauce!), it is usually carbonara or alfredo that we end up making... ooooor mac and cheese. Hehe!

So for now, kitchen rockstars, I would like to share with you my Kuya's carbonara recipe... And my garlic spread recipe (for the garlic bread) as well. :)



For the carbonara, you will need the following:

200grams pasta
100grams bacon, cut to small squares
50grams ham, cut to squares
1 medium onion, cubed
8-10pcs button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2tbsp olive oil
2tbsp butter
1can Cream of Mushroom
250ml evaporated milk
250ml cream
parmesan cheese
salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste

Procedure:

1. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
2. In a medium saucepan, pour olive oil and melt butter on medium heat. Make sure the olive oil goes first, to use as buffer, so the butter won't burn.
3. Brown the bacon, until it turns a bit crispy. Drain and remove from pan.
4. Throw in the ham as well using the same oil + butter. Once golden brown, place HALF of the cooked bacon, leaving the other half for garnish.
5. Sautee the onion with the meat until translucent.
6. Mix the sliced mushrooms for about a couple of minutes.
7. Pour cream of mushroom, evaporated milk and cream into the mixture. Mix thoroughly until it reaches into a boil.
8. Add nutmeg to enhance the creamy flavour, salt and pepper, to taste.
9. Serve with parmesan cheese  (I used the store-bought grated parmesan. Not as good as THE parmesan, but it'll do this stormy day,) and crispy bacon on top, as well as garlic bread on the side.

Kiddie and adult servings. Yum!

Now, for the garlic bread, you will need:

bread
4 cloves of garlic, smashed to release the flavour
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp basil, minced

Procedure:

1. Under low heat, melt butter with olive oil.
2. Sautee garlic until golden brown.
3. Mix basil. If you can't find fresh basil, use about half a teaspoon dried basil instead.
4. Spread mixture on bread. You can use any type of bread. This time, I used the left over pandesal from breakfast. :)
5. Pop it in the toaster for 3 minutes.


Happy eating... or should I say, buon appetito! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment